Monday, June 8, 2015

June 8, 2015- week 40- P-day in Monte Mor, Brazil!

Hey Family!

GUESS WHAT?? I FINALLY GOT THE PACKAGES!!! THANK YOU OH SO MUCH!! I loved the package full of candy and food and goodies. You would not believe the attention that I got from all the other Elders at the Zone meeting that happened last Tuesday. The Americans were all over the sour patch kids and swedish fish. And YES- KRAFT MAC AND CHEESE. WOOHOOO!!!! I also got some letters and another packages with some more shirts! Yeah!

Anyways, like all the other weeks, this week went by almost as fast as the last one. While my companion went up to Piracicaba for a meeting, Elder Holder and I were once again reunited. It actually went a lot better than I thought it would. We had a good day of work and got to catch up on our missions. It has been 4 months since I was his companion. Also, I did another division (split) with our Zone Leader Elder Vargas. He's super cool and is about to die on the mission (finish his mission). He's got about a month left, but he has knee problems, so he's probably gonna go home earlier than his return date. We shall see. I took a picture with him, but its pretty bad quality. Eh, dá pra ver.

Also, this week is the last week of the transfer. I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't think I should throw out any guesses, but most likely either me or my companion will be transferred. I don't really want to leave this area because I like it a lot. I'm not really seeing too much success, but all in due time.

So, lately, I've been reading a lot of the Book of Mormon (in Portuguese of course), and I will be finishing it within the next week. As for language study, all the words that I hear and don't understand, I write down in my planner. On Monday, the start of the new week, I write down all the words I learned that week on sticky notes and stick it on my wall. I've got tons of words on the wall. I'll have to take a picture to show you guys.

Also, I obtained a Brasilian high school Portuguese language book that I've been studying a bit. It's pretty much just like an English language book, just in Portuguese haha. It's a good source of new words for me. There's also this one poem that pretty much anyone who's ever gone to school in Brasil knows called- "Minha Terra tem Palmeiras". When people ask me if I'm Brasilian, I recite this poem, and then they go crazy because it's something only they know. haha

Also, yes, people ask me my first name all the time. When they see that both of our tags say "Elder", they get a little confused haha. They always ask ahh, you guys have the same name? Then we explain that its just a title and all that, and then they ask what our real names are. Usually, I tell them. They think Matthew is a really neat name. (Probably because they can't pronounce it right) In Portuguese, its Mateus, or Matteus, or Mattheus, or Matheus. There's a lot of varieties.

People here like to give their kids American names, but then they all pronounce it wrong. It's kind of funny.

The most spiritual thing this week was when I was with my first companion Elder Holder and we taught this family about Joseph Smith. The spirit was really strong, and made me feel really good. (Response to a question by Matthew's youngest sister)

Well, thank you again for the packages and letters and emails! Till the next week!

Love,
Elder Collins



Fotos

Boxes of goodies!!

From my beloved family.

Elder Vargas and I

No comments:

Post a Comment