Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10, 2014- week 10- P-day in Sumaré, Brazil!

Hello Family!

Another week down from my mission! This week went by really fast. We had a lot of activities that we went to. Last Saturday, there was a Family History Activity in one of the nearby Wards outside of the main city of Sumaré. All of the missionaries from my zone were there, and we all handed out little notices throughout the week. At the activity, people learned how to do Family History and were introduced to the Family Search website. It was a really fun activity! Also, on Friday, my companion and I and the two other missionaries helped a member with his work. He's a construction worker, so we helped him to build his house. We also moved a ton of dirt using shovels. I got some blisters and my hands because I have never used shovels as much as I did that day. It was exhausting work, but we got fed lunch by him!

That reminds me, we actually get fed lunch everyday by the members here. Everyday, except P-Day, that is. But, they're almost always SO GOOD. The people here eat rice and beans with every meal here, doesn't matter what you're having haha. But they also eat a lot of meat, that they usually fry. Yesterday, we had a churrasca at one of the members' house. Like always, churrascas are the best.

This week, for work wise, we visited a lot of our investigators. Because we walk alot, I have a lot of blisters, and one pair of my shoes is already ruined. The other pair started to fall apart too, so I took out the sole from the broken shoe and added it to the shoes I'm wearing right now. It helped a lot, but it's still not comfortable to walk with blisters. Oh the life of a missionary in Brazil haha. Anyways, our investigators! Almost all of our pesquisadores (investigators) are really receptive. They all believe in God. I haven't met a single person here who doesn't. Also, almost everyone loves us and wants us in their houses. There are a few people who don't really like us. But I've only seen maybe two or three people total like that.
 
Only two more weeks left in the transfer!! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stay here though. My Portuguese is going well. I'm reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese right now, and I'm starting to understand a lot. Theres a ton of vocab, but the basic format is easy to understand. Its funny, though, because its not a literal translation- so the wording is changed. For example, in the very beginning it talks about Lehi and seeing the burning bush and then he goes and falls on his bed with exhaustion, but the Portuguese translation says that he throws himself on his bed.
 
This week, I went and visited a lot of my pesquisadores (investigators). I wouldn't say its easy to get investigators, but everyone is always so happy to let us into their house. They always go and fetch us a glass of water. I don't know if you know, but theres a kind of drought here, so there's not very much water. People have to travel far to find a well and get water from there. Yes, I am beginning to understand better. I am reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese, so that is helping a lot with learning vocabulary.
 
Anyways, for this week, I only have one Picture, but at least its something! I'll try to take more this week. Thanks for all the e-mails! Until the next week.

Elder Collins



Just another day here in Sumaré

No comments:

Post a Comment