Monday, October 20, 2014

October 20, 2014- week 7- First area is Sumaré, Brazil!

Oi minha Familia!

For some weird reason, I can't login to my own email so I am using my companion's email. Anyways, the past week has been unlike any other. We left on Tuesday of last week and rode a van to Piracicaba, where we met the President and his wife there. President Canuto is really cool. We ate lunch at their house and then went to the chapel there in Piracicaba to recieve our new companions and areas. I was assigned to the area of Sumaré! And my companion is Elder Holder! He is pretty cool. He is an American from Maryland and has been serving for 9 months. His Portuguese is really good and he knows what he's doing. 

Anyways, like I said, its a lot different out here than in the CTM. It's also a little bit harder for us than other missionaries, because we are opening up this area. My companion and I are still getting to know Sumaré, but so far its pretty amazing. The ward here is super awesome and very active and excitied to help move forward the missionary work. Its unlike anything I've ever seen. They also have a lot of weekly activities. I'd say most of the members are converts, but many of them have served missions themselves, so its really cool to see that.
So! The real Brasil is quite different from the United States. I haven't been able to take too many pictures here in Sumaré, but in the next email (hopefully It'll be on my own), I'll send some. Included with this email are some pictures. The housing here is very different from the States. Its hard to explain unless I have pictures, but in most of the areas the people live in these brick houses. They all have the same kind of brick, because its the cheapest, and so I see it in piles everywhere around the city. Oh! Also, we walk a ton. I already have blisters on my feet, but I am recovering haha. I think the farthest we've walked to an investigator's house was probably 30-45 minutes away. But we walk everywhere.

Also, the people here are very receptive and love to talk. The Portuguese I learned at the CTM is not enough to be able to understand what the people say here, so I'm usually lost throughout the conversations we have. But, I am learning! Because we are opening this area up, we didn't really have any investigators to teach last week, but this week will be different.

Anyways, I hope all is well over there in Italy, and I'll try to get my email fixed by next week.

Love,
Elder Collins

Pictures (I can only send one at a time):
(the view outside of my room at the CTM)


No comments:

Post a Comment